Architectural Essay Writing Contest, 5th Cycle is the twenty-third initiative of the Architectural Journalism & Criticism Organization founded by architect Pappal Suneja to spread awareness about this subject and sow the seeds of inspiration to explore and write about Architecture and allied fields from an explorer’s perspective.
Theme for the Series in this cycle is ‘Water and the Evolution of Cities’ Brief
Water, the lifeblood of civilizations, has been an integral part of communities throughout history, shaping the very fabric of urban life. In this contest, we want you to explore two fascinating macro ideas that revolve around water's role in urban development. Picture this — 'Cities' thriving with the abundance of water, but also facing the challenges of water scarcity and climate change. How do we ensure water conservation and sustainability amidst rapid urban growth? Can architectural ingenuity and urban planning play a role in preserving this precious resource while creating vibrant, eco-friendly living spaces? Delve into the historical tapestry of cities and their water-related heritage. From ancient civilizations to modern-day metropolises, water bodies like rivers, lakes, and reservoirs have left their mark on the development of urban centers. It is time to discover how cities are bridging the gap between preserving their water-related heritage and embracing progress.
That's not all! Water has been more than just a life-giving resource; it's been a catalyst for trade, commerce, and cultural exchange among cities. Rivers, canals, and ports have connected communities, fostering economic prosperity and enriching the tapestry of urban life. Let your imagination flow as a meandering river as you explore the transformative power of water in cities. Dive deep into research, share insightful analysis, and propose creative solutions. Show us how water has shaped the built environment and contributed to the dynamic growth and sustainability of cities.
We welcome entries from Collegians, Professionals, Academicians; Researchers & Design Enthusiasts (Open to All)
- Submissions are open to all writers in English. International submissions are welcome.
- Maximum two entries/essays per registrant are allowed.
- The Essay/entry may be accompanied by an Illustration/Photograph (optional).
- Each essay should not exceed 800 words.
- The entry along with the registration screenshot should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Essay Writing Contest, 5th Cycle - Category (collegians, and Open) in a word document with 12 pt., Arial font, single-line spacing.
- All entrants must mention any of their social media handles with the submission (Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, etc.)
- The submission should be an original work of the entrant and will go through a plagiarism test.
- We will announce the winners in the first week of November 2023.
Jury Panel for the Competition comprises
- Ian Banerjee, Lecturer and Researcher at TU Vienna, Germany
- Ritu Mohanty-Padora, Architect, Urban Designer & Planner, AICP, LEED AP, Mumbai, India
- Pappal Suneja, Ph.D. Scholar, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Germany
- Twinkle Kataria, Architect & Artist, Mumbai, India
- Arti Daga, Architect & Academician, IGBC AP, GRIHA Evaluator & GEM CP, Mumbai, India
- Minaz Ansari, Architect, Academician & Urban Researcher, Mumbai, India Timeline:
Submission and registration window for the Series opens on 1st September 2023 – 15th October 2023 (11:59 pm IST/8:29 pm CEST)
- Early Bird Registration till 24th September 2023, (750 INR for participants from India and 18 Euros for International Participants)
- Standard Registration till 14th October 2023, (1000 INR for participants from India and 26 Euros for International Participants)
For Queries, contact: email@example.com
Winning Prizes for the Competition are
An AJC curated set of books worth 15000 INR/200 USD.
An AJC curated set of books worth 7000 INR/100 USD.
Besides this, we shall send attested E-Certificates of Participation to all the entrants and the winning entries shall be featured on several web architectural portals. Also, the best entries shall be complied as an Anthology with ISBN No. after the successful run of all the cycles under this Series.
Note: AJC supports underprivileged children of the society. We are also in the process of expanding our reach; thus, interested organizations may contact us in this regard. For further updates regarding the outreach activities and events, Visit the Instagram and Facebook handle of the Organisation.
Competition Poster © Twinkle Kataria, AJC Associate, Mumbai