Essay Writing Contest: ‘Travel & Photography’: Open Call
Updated: Jan 21, 2022
Essay Writing Contest, 3rd Cycle is the Nineteenth initiative of the Architectural Journalism & Criticism Organization founded by architect Pappal Suneja to spread awareness about this subject and sow the seeds of inspiration to explore and write about Architecture and allied fields from an explorer’s perspective.
Theme for the Series in this cycle is ‘Travel & Photography’
Brief - To travel is to make a journey; but what would a journey be, if the traveler doesn’t grow through it? Wouldn’t that equal just moving from one place to the other, without really gathering a thing? It certainly would. And when we are talking about traveling to explore architecture, it becomes imperative that designers must learn that traveling becomes analogous to growing in their world. In the following call, we ask entrants to discuss more about why it is necessary to travel if you are an architectural enthusiast and how to make your travel count in the simplest of ways.
We know that every architectural masterpiece has an innate essence and an aura, that a person can feel while standing among its chambers or while absorbing the magnificence in person. For aspiring designers, it is necessary that they understand what it is to observe the intricacies of a work, which might easily get overlooked if we try to explore the same through a video or some photographs. Traveling, for them, is much more than just an experience; it is more like understanding the transition of spaces: how one space segues into the other. In the jargon, traveling corresponds to understanding the outlook of the building, be it any façade treatment that has been done, because of the orientation that has been taken for the particular building.– Pappal Suneja
We welcome entries from Collegians, Professionals, Academicians, Researchers & Design Enthusiasts (Open to All)
- Submissions are open to all writers in English. International submissions are welcome.
- Maximum two entries/essays per registrant are allowed.
- The Essay/entry may be accompanied by an Illustration/Photograph (optional).
- Each essay should not exceed 800 words.
- The entry along with the registration screenshot should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line Essay Writing Contest, 3rd Cycle - Category (collegians, and Open) in a word document with 12 pt., Arial font, single-line spacing.
- All entrants must mention any of their social media handles with the submission (Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, etc.)
- The submission should be an original work of the entrant and will go through a plagiarism test.
- We will announce the winners in the last week of March 2022.
Jury Panel for the Competition comprises
- Pappal Suneja, PhD Scholar, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Germany
- Lola Kleindouwel, Architectural Designer & Journalist, the Netherlands
- Fatema Kabir, Architect & Researcher, Pune, India
- Reem Saad Sardina, Architect & Researcher, Egypt & Germany
- Puneet Dua, Architect, Urban Planner & Founder, Studio Saarth, Jaipur
- Gurmeet Kaur, Designer & Founder, Madhy-antar, India
Submission and registration window for the Series opens on 17th January 2022 – 28th Feb 2022 (11:59 pm IST/8:29 pm CEST)
- Early Bird Registration till 8th Feb 2022, (750 INR for participants from India and 18 Euros for International Participants)
Indian Participants can follow the link to register, and International Participants can enter here.
- Standard Registration till 27th Feb 2022, (1000 INR for participants from India and 26 Euros for International Participants)
For Queries, Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winning Prizes for the Competition are
An AJC curated set of books worth 15000 INR/200 USD.
An AJC curated set of books worth 7000 INR/100 USD.
Besides this, we shall send attested E-Certificates of Participation to all the entrants and the winning entries shall be featured on several web architectural portals. Also, the best entries shall be complied as an Anthology with ISBN No. after the successful run of all the cycles under this Series.
Note: AJC supports underprivileged children of the society, we are also in the process to expand our reach; thus interested organizations may contact us in this regard. For further updates regarding the outreach activities and events, Visit the Instagram and Facebook handle of the Organisation.
Head Poster Design © Rutuja P. Sahane